Email and the modern digital help desk have always enjoyed a close relationship. Receiving email notifications when queries came in helped agents stay on top of their customers’ problems. However, while help desks have greatly progressed and made a number of advances over the years, notifications…haven’t really kept up.
Let’s take a look at what a modern help desk software can do. Agents can now support customers on the go through mobile apps, they can compete against each other with gamification, and they can have early insight into a customer’s mood before they even make contact – and yet they’re still slaves to their inboxes to see notifications, which is ridiculous. To put this into perspective, here’s a little peek into what a portion of an agent’s day might be like:
For some of you, that sounds like a special kind of hell; while others who are used to it are probably wondering what all the fuss is about. It works, sure, and people are used to it, but it’s in dire need of replacing once something better comes along. Here are a few reasons why:
- If your inbox is empty, then dealing with notifications as they come in is easy. The problem is, however, that keeping your inbox clear is easier said than done. Try as you might, it’s nearly impossible to prevent the odd email notification from slipping through the cracks or missing an important update on a ticket – and your inbox can’t assign priorities either, so you’ll have to manually figure out what the most important task at hand is every time you’re done with one.
- It’s easy to get sidetracked while going through your inbox. You might go in searching for updates on tickets, and wind up having to go through hordes of unread and irrelevant emails, all while pending tickets pile up.
- If you’ve got to constantly switch between tabs to figure out what you should be working on, you’re not working at peak efficiency. Why? Because you’re leaving the door open for interruptions of multiple kinds to intrude on your time. And that can prove costly – according to a University of California-Irvine study, regaining your initial momentum following an interruption can take upwards of 20 minutes on average (more on this here). That adds up, and what it adds up to is a longer and less productive day.
And ‘less productive’ can have real-world consequences – potentially costing a company as much as $2000 dollars a year, by our calculations.
This is where we hold our hands up and confess. We’ve been guilty of this as well, and for that, we’re sorry. Agents using Freshdesk have been stuck with this kind of workflow too, and we haven’t given them a way out.
We’re breaking away from the traditional (and outdated) norm, and we’re bringing notifications back home to the help desk where they belong. With Smart Notifications, you’ve got a single place right within your help desk where you can see all the important updates and alerts that you need to. Inbox clutter is a thing of the past, and all that time-wasting back-and-forth between various tabs and applications? Gone! With Smart Notifications, you can:
- Access tickets through the notifications
No fuss, no bother – just a click and you’re where you need to be.
- Customize your notification preferences
Tweak and tune your notification preferences to your heart’s content – choose exactly which notifications you want to receive – until you’ve got it set up just the way you want it.
- Enable desktop notifications
Want to make sure you never miss a beat? Turn on desktop notifications to always stay up-to-date, even when you’re working in another tab.
Many of our customers have given Smart Notifications a try already. When we surveyed them afterwards, 79% said that they were able to save more time with this feature, and that they didn’t have to worry about missing out on important updates.
“I’m finding it invaluable! This is what I have needed all along, without knowing that I needed it.
…when something new comes in I can tell at a glance whether it’s something I need to deal with urgently, or something that can wait.” – Cindy Jouper (Program Manager, ESD 113)
So if you would like to finally end your unhealthy relationship with your email inbox, take Smart Notifications out for a spin and let us know what you think!